Direct production employees to ensure the completion of assigned tasks on schedule, within budget and at the required level of quality in the production of Westport luxury yachts.
Essential Job Functions
- Plan, schedule and assign work tasks to subordinates.
- Ensure that equipment and supplies are available to complete tasks assigned.
- Inspect work as necessary to ensure quality and accuracy.
- Instruct subordinates in use of proper documentation, tools and techniques.
- Resolve problems that may interfere with production.
- Explain, model and enforce company policies and safety rules.
- Participate in hiring, rewarding, disciplining and terminating activities with Management and Human Resources as appropriate.
- Collect data, keep records and report progress to Management as required.
- Manage the Time Clock system to ensure that employees are properly paid.
- Communicate employee issues and concerns to Management.
- As a member of the Westport management team, maintain high personal standards and set an example for employees.
- Is accountable to the Production Manager and directly or indirectly (depending on the lead persons) accountable for crew safety, efficiency, skill levels, training, knowledge of construction standards, and compliance with all company policies.
- Support other Westport Supervisors and Managers.
- Wear appropriate PPE including safety glasses, fall protection, etc.
- Move materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Repetitive use of hands for simple grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation.
- Frequent standing, bending, kneeling, squatting, ladder and stair climbing and occasional crawling, twisting and lying.
- Ensure that the work area is kept clean.
- Maintain excellent attendance record.
- Uses a “hand’s-on” supervisory approach, working directly with each lead person and crew members to achieve all departmental and company goals.
- Expected to work overtime and flexible hours as needed to meet production schedules and departmental needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively lead a team.
- Ability to teach and train.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Requires basic levels of mathematical, reading, writing and communication skills necessary to successfully accomplish the job description, skills and ability requirements outlined above.
- Requires visual acuity necessary and appropriate to perform all job duties and requirements as listed.
- Requires auditory acuity capable of hearing a forklift back-up alarm, moving vehicle horns, or other safety alarms and warning signals.
Other Preferred Skills/Abilities
- Broad experience in residential, commercial, and industrial electrical systems.
- Prior Supervisory experience.
- Prior experience in boat-building.
- Formal education beyond high school.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms, to stand, walk and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, push or pull and lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is a production floor setting and is usually noisy and dusty. It does not always maintain a consistent temperature but is dry. Noise levels are moderate to high with some chemical odors present. When on the production floor, PPE is required where noted.
- Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment including and not limited to gloves, safety glasses, hard hat and or a respirator may need to be worn when handling hazardous products or working in hazardous environments.
- Maintain and participates in keeping personal work area, shop and tools clean and in proper working order to ensure safe working environment.
- Hazardous materials are used in the production process. Employees must follow all safety guidelines and know evacuation procedures, the location of first aid stations and MSDS locations in areas they work or visit on Company property.
At Westport, L.L.C., your base wage is only a portion of your overall compensation package. When you add in the additional benefits below to our competitive base wage you can increase your total compensation up to 25%.
- Health insurance benefits options, including medical, prescription, vision, dental, basic group life and short term disability.
- Flexible spending accounts for health flex and dependent care expenses
- 401(k) Retirement Plan options
- Paid time off for all regular FT employees
- Paid holidays
Westport L.L.C. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee will be expected to perform other duties as may be assigned to meet the ongoing needs of Westport, L.L.C.