Administers the company’s safety programs to comply with State, OSHA, WISHA, ORCCA, and DOE rules, regulations and codes. Will perform all daily safety functions appropriate for a Safety Coordinator to develop, implement, administer, and maintain the safety programs, policies, and procedures with the goal of minimizing the frequency and severity of workplace accidents and injuries while ensuring regulatory compliance. Will work closely with Environmental Coordinator and be back-up to that position.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain, implement and administer a comprehensive and effective Safety program that supports the business objectives of Westport, L.L.C.;
- Supports, mentors, and works closely with Environmental Coordinator at another location. Provides clear and constructive feedback, advise, opinions, etc.
- Inspects work areas and equipment to ensure compliance with company, state, and federal safety policies and regulations, including confined spaces and areas of height;
- Instructs and assists safety and health education courses as developed by company;
- Gathers, obtains, inputs, and/or processes Environmental and Safety tests and inspections;
- Performs and behaves professionally and maintains moral principles in all actions;
- Consistently organizes, prioritizes and performs multiple tasks at one time in a timely manner fully supporting production and executive level needs;
- Partners with Human Resources and Management to ensure safety goals are being met;
- Repetitive use of hands for simple grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation;
- Frequent standing, bending, kneeling, squatting, ladder and stair climbing and occasional crawling, twisting and lying;
- Materials needing to be lifted and/or carried may weigh up to 50 pounds;
- Works effectively as part of a team providing high quality Customer Service;
- Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment including and not limited to gloves, safety glasses, hard hat and or a respirator may need to be worn when and if handling hazardous products or working in hazardous environments;
- Maintains and participates in keeping personal work area, shop and tools clean and safe;
- Must maintain an excellent attendance record following all company policies and procedures and safety rules. Majority of work time must be spent on site at a Westport facility, including working the core work hours of Monday thru Friday, 6:00 am to 2:45 pm. This position does require frequent travel to our Port Angeles location.
- Expected to work overtime and flexible hours as needed to meet production schedules and departmental needs. May travel as necessary for business reasons.
- Knowledge and experience of: principles and practices of employee and public safety and health administration including safety and health education and training, accident investigation, self-inspection, record keeping, safety committee operation and other services common to employee and public safety; principles and practices of organization and management.
- Requires advanced levels of mathematical, reading, writing and communication skills necessary to successfully accomplish the job description, skills and ability requirements as outlined above.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in environmental, occupation, and/or safety programs.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to travel, including possible overnight stays.
Other Preferred Skills/Abilities
- A Bachelor's degree in occupational safety and health, safety studies, natural science, business or public administration, education or allied fields.
- Forward thinking, positive attitude, professional demeanor and self-motivation exhibited effectively as production support.
- Experience in a composite and/or boat manufacturing facility.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms, to stand, walk and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, push or pull and lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is a production floor setting and is usually noisy and dusty. It does not always maintain a consistent temperature but is dry. Noise levels are moderate to high with chemical odors present. When on the production floor, PPE is required where noted. Work may occasionally be performed outdoors or while docked at a marina.
- Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment including and not limited to gloves, chemical resistant Tyvek clothing, safety glasses, hard hat and or a respirator may need to be worn when handling hazardous products or working in hazardous environments.
- Maintain and participates in keeping personal work area, shop and tools clean and in proper working order to ensure safe working environment.
- Hazardous materials are used in the production process. Employees must follow all safety guidelines and know evacuation procedures, the location of first aid stations and MSDS locations in areas they work or visit on Company property.
At Westport, L.L.C., your base wage is only a portion of your overall compensation package. When you add in the additional benefits below to our competitive base wage you can increase your total compensation up to 25%.
- Health insurance benefits options, including medical, prescription, vision, dental, basic group life and short term disability.
- Flexible spending accounts for health flex and dependent care expenses
- 401(k) Retirement Plan options
- Paid time off for all regular FT employees
- Paid holidays
Westport L.L.C. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee will be expected to perform other duties as may be assigned to meet the ongoing needs of Westport, L.L.C.